Wolf In A Sheep's Skin

Yesterday, while I was waiting for a jeepney ride home, I noticed a group of street children passed by while I was talking to one of my colleagues who was already about to take off; she was just waiting for the stop sign to cross the street. These street children aged about 6-7 years old, have dark skin tone, unkempt hair, and untidy clothes but they are not literally like of a beggar's. Not being a judgmental, I thought they were harmless and innocent who just hang out with their friends just to have fun and to avoid the mandatory siesta time. I was just calm but I played safe by clutching my bag in case somebody may snatch it away. (I have read news about kids who were being used by criminals as their instrument to commit robbery and carjacking for these kids cannot be detained in jail or be held as a prisoner). To my surprise, two kids from the group spanked and pinched my bum and then walked away like they did nothing pervert. My colleague noticed it and gave me a sharp and puzzling look but soon bade me off goodbye. I was shocked and my brain was still processing what happened. I didn't really notice who the hell did it because I was looking at my colleague at that time the pervert act happened. I was still trying to figure out what to do when some of my colleagues appeared and were also going home. I moved away from them because I was planning to confront the kids who happened to be just a few feet away from me. After they left, that was when I finally decided to confront these scoundrels.

I approached them and yelled at them in a loud, authoritative, and angry voice. I was in rage because even though they are still in their juvenile years, they should know that what they did was ultimately wrong! They were startled but they shrugged off telling me that they did not commit what I have been accusing them. "Tarantado kayong mga bata kayo. Sino pumalo ng pwet ko at humawak nito? Mga wala kayong modo, huh? Ang gagago ninyo!" I cried aloud. I didn't care if I was making a scene, all I cared about is to drill into their mind that their acts were pervert and unacceptable. They shrugged and pointed fingers at each other for blame. They even laughed treating the scenario as hilarious. To me, it was not funny and it was a serious thing. I pointed at one kid and he strongly disagreed with my accusation. He told me bravely and firmly that it wasn't him because he was lagging behind when the spanking happened. I was absolutely furious and told him "Kung hindi ikaw 'yun, pwes, ituro mo kung sino!" and he was eagerly reluctant to point at the culprits and just shrugged it off and told me that he doesn't know who did it.

I was getting more furious and I opened my bag and was about to pull my umbrella, which has a blunt but very hard handle enough to cause a blow, when one of them asked me "Ano 'yang binubunot mo Ate?" with a marked frightened voice. I mockingly replied, "Wala ka na dun! Wala kang pake kung ano binubunot ko!" and he backed away. I threatened these kids that I can blow their skulls off for them to learn a lesson. They were a little panicky and I felt good that the threat was effective though I don't really intend to harm them which may cause me a detention in the jail or even a publicized infamous report in Bantay Bata.

Then, a security guard approached me and I narrated what happened. He warned me not to argue with these street children (maybe he was thinking na papatulan ko 'yung mga bata) and I calmed down that at least if ever these silly children attack me, I will have someone as an ally. He shooed them away. And as they walk away, I can hear them murmuring and complaining, still pointing blame at each other for what happened. I decided to spare them from my ultimate wrath but I hope my rage taught them their lesson for the day. The guard also told me that these children usually hang out along the Boni Avenue and sometimes, snatch foods from passers-by.

Filthy children. But I guess they wouldn't act that way if their parents taught them good manners and right conduct. I believe that parents play an important role on how their children behave and act. They should shepherd their children to be a good citizen and mold their well-being; most importantly, proper education plays a vital part in their development.

So for those people who will pass by along Boni Avenue especially along Barangka, be careful and be wary about these street kiddos. There is an infamous sqautter's area near Boni Avenue that's why scoundrels are always on the look out in the area. Always be ready and always play safe. You'll never know what will happen.


0 comments:

Post a Comment