Ilocos Tour 2012


I had been to Ilocos Sur when I was 15 and my memories only served me discouraging thoughts on a silver platter. Remembering that the long drive was very exhausting, the waves were gigantic that swimming was very dangerous, and that it was not even enjoyable at all. However, I knew in my heart that my forthcoming trip again to Ilocos would bring me new and fun memories that will replace the old, unpleasant ones.

The emotions I felt that day before we left for our northbound travel comes back vividly as I reminisce. The combination of jitters and excitement aroused my emotions and made me so agitated. This is my first time to shell out my own money for a trip that is why the excitement and this is as well my first time to travel without my folks that is why both the jitters and agitation. My only company throughout the trip was my colleagues. 

Since this is my first independent travel, I remember checking my baggage multiple times being so paranoid that I might miss vital items for this awaited travel such as my camera pack, medications, flashlight, and other emergency materials. It is better to be sure than not. When I was assured that everything was complete, I bid everyone at home goodbye for my 4-day trip. 

That night of our departure, we were all gathered just to know that we almost could not make it to Ilocos. The travel agency had confused the schedule of their clients with ours and they thought that we were to leave by tomorrow. We assured the agency about our travel schedule and fortunately, the problem was resolved within the hour before we left. 

The van comfortably accommodated all of us. It was a rainy night and the weather forecast was discouraging. I remember the discouraging news that a typhoon was heading north. We prayed earnestly that God will grant us a good weather. I slept having fun and positive thoughts in my mind. 

I was awoken with a long non-motion. I thought it was just a stopover but I heard the tour guide announcing that we have reached our first destination – Sta. Bridge. Supposedly, we should witness the sunrise from the bridge, however we arrived too early at about 5am. When I stepped out, I felt a very strong wind incessantly blowing. If I did not take each step slowly and carefully, the wind could really throw my lanky body off the bridge. 

It was a perfect fresh start and thanks be to God for a tame weather! Everyone was fired up with excitement. Lo and behold, Ilocos! I could scream with joy that finally we were there after a long 10-hour drive! It was anticipated that it would be a very long day for all of us. The tight tour schedule needed to be strictly followed and we still have a long list of destinations. 

Next stop: Bantay Bell Tower. I did not really find it amusing as the tower was just erected near a church and there was not much to see but the Bell Tower itself. There was even a mandatory donation. It is not that I did not want to donate however they should not have put the sign “donation” when they will force everyone entering the site to give money not going below 5php.



We then headed to the Zen Hidden Garden in Vigan for breakfast. The restaurant has surprisingly odd decorations all over depicting Buddhism and the place is home to different exotic animals such as Komodo dragon and snakes and other fowls. Although the place is eccentric, it is peaceful and unruffled. After looking around, I decided to make an order. Ilocos is native for absolutely palatable and savory dishes and I could not wait to try out the menu. I ordered sotanghon for I was craving soup and I ordered some refreshment. After waiting a while, my order was served. I was so surprised that their sotanghon version has no soup! I was disappointed but I still ate the meal. It tastes like the original only that it has no soup. Well, my day needs to go on despite the disappointment.




No sabaw :(
Like a child excited for her field trip, I maintained my spirits high. Our next destination was the Baluarte. It is owned and operated by the famous Ilocos governor Chavit Singson. The Balaurte is a vast land home to different animals such as deers, horses, ducks, tigers, ostriches, and birds – more or less, it is like a zoo. The life-size statues of dinosaurs are really a striking decoration to the plain landscape. It was like a field trip to a zoo only that the animals were free except the tigers. I had so much fun here especially when I posed for a picture with a heavy and timid Macaw resting on my shoulder. Indeed, I was a happy kid and my spirits were more fired up and I was getting more lighthearted for more anticipated fun.


Cool dino





Poor blind deer
We toured in the following destinations cheerfully: Crisologo Museum which is a little bit boring but interesting; Marcos Mausoleum which I have already toured before and did not surprise me anymore; the Sand Dunes which is an immense desert; Cape Bojeador and Paoay Church. We all cannot wait for the highlight of our first day tour which is the Bangui Windmills. It was still a long 2-hour drive from our previous destination to Bangui. When we finally saw the huge windmills appearing closer than they seem, we all were blazed with enthusiasm and eagerness to finally get there.




The beauty of the wind farm!
At long last, time to step out of the van. My first step on the sands of Bangui made my heart leap. Yes, finally. I was overwhelmed with the titanic windmills. They were numerous and my mind was boggled with the question “How are these erected?” – an exceptional mystery. The wind farm was serene, tranquil, and cool. The strong winds are a pleasing sensation to the skin. The wind was music to my ears that it could sing me to sleep. I remember how peaceful it was being there and I felt that I never would want to leave. 

The time has finally come to head home to our resort. Again, a two-hour drive back and it was an exhausting day. I felt separation anxiety from the mesmerizing calm place. While on our way back, I realized how blessed Philippines is for its abundant attractions and how blessed I am to witness God’s creations. It was a long day and there was nothing more rewarding that day than to fall asleep contented, happy, and pleased. 

The second day was allotted for trekking and swimming. We headed to Kabigan Falls for a 30-minute trek. The trek was easy and indefatigable. The sight of the waterfall was majestic. The waterfalls sent out cool sprinkles that gave everyone comfort from the trek. My colleagues swam and I did not. The pool was chilling cold and I was afraid to take a splash and go hypothermic so I just took pictures of them having so much fun. I was very much delighted that everyone was having a good time. 

It was time to go to Blue Lagoon, Pagudpud’s finest beach. During the long drive, we had two stopovers. One was to have a fine look at the Patapat Viaduct – a long, concrete bridge connecting Laoag, Ilocos Norte to Cagayan Valley. What a breathtaking sight it was! I never knew Philippines could have such grand competitive construction. Another attraction nearby is the Bagong Lipunan Lodge. It is a huge abandoned lodge and it must be very impressive and luxurious before it arrived to desertion.








Finally, it was already time for a dip at the Blue Lagoon beach. The magnificent beach has surprisingly invited gigantic waves. The winds were stronger thus the giant waves. It was scary to go swimming however we decided not to waste the precious day. My experience with the waves in Blue Lagoon is very unforgettable. I was tossed and turned by the giant waves and I repeatedly swallowed salty water. Fighting the non-stop waves was as good as competing until the twelfth round of boxing. I was so fatigued but it was so fun and thank God, no near-drowning occurred.



The morning of our third day stay has come and it was time to pack things and ready ourselves for departure. All were having separation anxiety. It cannot be the last day but it was. Sadly, the reality has dawned to us that we all have to leave. We still have more destinations for the third day: Kapurpurawan Rock Formation, MalacaƱang of the North, and the Heritage Village at Vigan which will complete our tour.

The Kapurpurawan Rock Formation is very splendid! The breathtaking view completely amazed me. I was awestruck with the beauty of the perfectly crafted white-washed rocks, the bonsai forest, and the view of the deep blue waters splashing on the rocky shores. If only the weather was not so hot that day, we would have stayed longer. We then headed to the MalacaƱang of the North – the official Marcos residence in the north during Ferdinand Marcos’ regime which was transformed into a museum.

One last savoring of the resort efore leaving






Our last stop: the Heritage Village in Vigan. This village has been shown in many paintings, photographs, and postcards. This is a very famous attraction for tourists because of the cobblestone streets and unique architectures. The village is preserved and the houses retained their relic-like appearances. We were given ample time to stroll around the village and to buy souvenirs. The prices are reasonable and there are many native products that patronize Philippine culture.



Cool that this radio is still playing!


Vangie's Ice Cream everywhere there


After everyone was finished with their shopping spree, behold the saddest part – leaving. I recall everyone having sad faces because we all had to depart. We had our share of testimonies why we should repeat the experience and re-visit the thrilling, fun, exciting, and beautiful Ilocos. On the way back to Manila, everyone was silent and I knew that a part of what was going on with their minds was savoring the memories of our short stay in this beautiful land of the strong winds.

Until now, when I reminisce my Ilocos experience, I just cannot help but smile and close my eyes and take myself back in December when we toured in one of the most magnificent places on earth, just letting myself drift and drown in fine memories and immortalize those remarkable moments in my life.

Farewell thee beloved. Ilocos Tour December 2012


My company all through out :)

Back to Manila... night lights :(

1 comments:

Joseph said...

Fantastic!

Post a Comment